Monday after 5pm, as usual I went to the common piano rooms to practice. Most of the times I dont see or hear anyone except me, but today I ve heard someone playing a beatiful piece of music. The door was open and I could hear it in the corridor. The music was flowing, and it was very engaging, but was not like something I ve hear before...definitelt modern, maybe Debussy but not that ambigious, a French composer? a romantic. I was thniking that the pianist must be a woman, because I was hearing the ultra sensitivity with the touch. Well I walked towards the room and I saw the back of a man playing the piano, I walked back to my room, I was going to close my door and start practicing, but I could not. I listened to the music until it finished. Then I walked to the room again, and then I said: "this was so beatiful, whose music is it". He turned back and said a name I ve never heard before...I asked agian who? he said it is his composition. I ve made many compliments to this young man, that he touches the piano sensibly, the music is flowing etc. etc. He was interested in what I was doing, and I talked a bit,then he talked a bit. I learned that he does an art degree and also started his PhD in physics this year. His compositions were arranged for an orchestra and have been performed previously. I was thinking - this boy is brilliant and sensitive and romantic and also have big gorgeous smile and beatiful big eyes and a hot body. Then I ve heard him saying he had a girlfriend and he came to Sydney with her, then they broke up, but he s still here beacuse he likes Sydney a lot. He is originally from Califonia,but he doesnt have the American accent. His parents moved to North Quensland a while ago so he s been living in Australia since then.
Then we started talking about research, and then music and then life and then research again, the whole conversation was exciting, I was talking to this guy who composed and played this music I adored, plus I learned that he did neuroscience as uundergrad, and now he is interested in mathematical modeling of the brain in the Physics department. and he was smiling with big bright eyes, and showing me how he practices, and played some of his other compositions and also was very interested in what I do and what I like. What a unique combination in a straight man. I was thrilled by this young man, I had to leave the room. I went back to my room started practicing, thinking that he is still in the other room, maybe hearing a bit of what I play, and this gave me a different motivation to play, and gave me this comforting feeling, that there is at least one brilliant/talented person I met today, and meeting him and feeling his fresh energy gave me this push to hope for a better life...weird isnt it? A better life in my perspective is balancing music and the other profession/research and do both at a satisfactory level. This boy has been doing it. Well ok, this boy looks like a genius and I think he is exceptional, but why not, I love music and I had this hope that I can make it again a significant part of my life.
Thursday lunch time, he is playing piano publicly, I m gonna be there to listen to him!
Monday, June 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment